Sunday, September 17, 2006

Alcohol use helps boost income: Hungry thinks

I would have to agree that drinking does build up social capital. They do it here in China all the time. And I can attest to that. Read my previous previous blog.

Though it's with my relatives, and though I'm in no contest with my (male) cousin to get their attention and preference, after almost 6 months here with them, I can sincerely say that this is the only time I felt I was able to be myself in front of my uncle and vice versa.

I was laughing hard. My uncle's really his goofy and irritatingly wise-cracking self. He's really showing his jerk side, and that's fine with me coz all he's ever been is this analytical businessman-in-China guru, which made me feel awkward all the time.

I know that alcohol loosens any inhibitions and that may be the reason. It was fun letting loose. But alcohol also helps disorient you.

So there I was getting more and more drunk, more and more disoriented. The more I was disoriented, the more I couldn't bluff. The more I couldn't bluff, the more I lost, the more I took shots. Vicious cycle.

So even if I'm pro-social drinking, what I've just mentioned are some of the factors one has to consider while "social drinking."

(Social drinking for some is just drinking casually without getting drunk. For some getting drunk happy is still considered social drinking. Differs from people to people.)

Factor 1: Alcohol loosens any inhibitions.
Factor 2: Alcohol disorients you.

I don't know where this game originated; however, it typically appeals to Chinese coz it's a game where you outwit and outlast everyone with the help of alcohol:

  • You prey on someone you know who can't bluff. Make him disoriented. He loosens her strategic senses. After a few rounds you know he can't bluff anymore.
  • You bluff by making the now whoozy people think you're bluffing when in fact you're not (in a way, acting like an open prey). Make them pounce on you. Then you show your hand. Boom! They're wrong, they drink again.
  • You bluff. The person who's turn is next bluffs along with you. You catch him/her. Boom! You escaped drinking again.

There are many more possible tricks in this game. In the end, even if the sly one has gotten to drink a few shots, he still is considered sober enough compared to his game mates. It's like going to war.

Sun Tzu might've been a slasher in this game. Of course, he might've wanted more than a few shots himself, but winning may have been in his mind more than the mere enticement of alcohol.

Damn, I wish he's in my team!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

STILL WITH SOCIAL DRINKING

One of the known scenarios here: Clients taken out to lunch or dinner (most of the time dinner) by the sales people they're visiting, and by the sales managers probably (depends on the amount of the sales generated with the customer).

Before eating starts, first round of drinks are raised by the host of the dinner. (Learned this custom in a shameful way.)

Dinner starts lauriat style. Throughout the meal, every so often people will raise the glass. It's a sign of respect they say. So if you're the visiting client or even just a visitor, expect the glass to be raised more for you than others.

But be wary, if you haven't closed a deal yet. Drinking loosens up any inhibitions, remember?

You might find yourself talking and talking, before you know it, you'll saying confidential information that's been your trump card but is now essential obtained to the advantage of other party.

Drinking disorients you: Worse case scenario - you're drunk and blabbering. They produce a contract. You sign. You just gave a way your company.

hahaha Never heard of that happening, esp since contracts are not that widely used here. But a verbal agreement's equally accountable, so it's possible you might say "yes" to something your company's not yet ready for.

Drinking's inevitable here! You're going to find yourself in a social drinking dinner here sooner than later. So before engaging in a drinking war (aka social drinking), better make sure you know your drinking limits, know your partners' drinking limits, test your "opponent's" drinking limits as well as his partners. Then sugod mga kapatid (attack!!!)!!!

Of course, they say the best form of offense is a good defense - just say you don't drink and order juice for yourself. :D

No comments: