Friday, September 22, 2006

I Done a Good Deed Today

Did you ever act out on instinct? Like something is telling you to do something and you did it erasing any 2nd thoughts?

Tonight I was planning on munching a few spicy chicken wings I bought from KFC. They're actually more scrumptious than McDo's. Here in Yangzhou, KFC rules! (Well, except for McDo's milkshakes.)

Anyway, after KFC I passed by the adjacent eyeglasses shop and told them my glasses' situation and asked how much if they can fix them. I was told I can get them fixed for free if the glasses' sorry condition is as simple as it sounds.

Glad to hear the word "for free," I walked out with sunshine rays above me. Then I saw this 50-something thin lady scrounging for cartons and plastics outside the glasses shop. I had parked my bike just in front of her. Before I left, voices suddenly swept me:
- Remember how you used to randomly help out people? It's your chance now.
- But it seems absurd!
- Think of The Valkyries (a Paolo Coelho book). Think of your angel. What's s/he telling you?
- If you don't believe in it, believe in your intuition.
- You're too fat anyway! You've already eaten a waffle and had coffee for dinner. So what if you're going to the gym afterwards?!
- Think of it this way, you don't get to add fat into your lousy body, you're helping your heart and someone else.
- Look at her! She's half your size!

So against my tummy's haggling, I walked my bike toward her and said (in Chinese), "can I ask you something?"

She spoke in Yangzhou dialect.

Persisting, I told her, "seems like you haven't had your dinner yet, you can have this." I removed the KFC plastic bag from my bike's railing and handed it to her. She's saying no, and for a time there I was a bit scared that she might lash out at me for taking pity on her, but I smiled and looked at her then looked straight in her eyes.

They told me she's hungry.

Like any typical Chinese, she's refusing, but I know this gesture all too well. It is customary to refuse a couple of times before giving in. I waited for the customary, "no" and "no." Eventually, she gave in asked why. I could not explain it to her that my inside's telling me to help her out, that an angel told me, that I'm leaving Yangzhou and this is one of the ways I want to leave a piece of myself. In the end, I just told her, "I'm too fat anyway and advance Merry Christmas."

I don't know if she understood the "Advance Merry Christmas," or if she had even celebrated it. Looking back, I don't even know where the words came from, but something tells me it's probably more her angel looking out for her than my angel giving me a sense of pride and accomplishment.

I biked away all giddy and feeling like there's a glow around me. The feeling's still here. It's been so long since I last helped a stranger. I felt that I could be bumped by a bus and for all I care - I helped someone! (Siempre todo ingat pa rin ako. It's different here in China.)

It's such a good feeling that everyone should do it! It should be made a daily challenge. :D

I hope I had made a difference in her life. Weird as this may sound - she made a difference in mine by letting me help her. On my way home, I thought, I hope this could start a pay-it-forward thing. You know, where regardless of your standing in life, you have the means to help someone if your heart's in the right place.

I suddenly remembered something I read or heard somewhere (not exact words but you should get the meaning): Praying and claiming world peace won't accomplish anything. It can't be done in a day. The miracle of world peace is achieved by doing your share little bit by little bit.

:)

No comments: